Whether you’re an experienced driver or a rookie on the roads, it’s important that you know what to do if something happens to your windshield.
Have you ever driven down the highway, minding your own business, when suddenly out of nowhere a pebble comes flying at your windshield? You might experience a moment of panic after the uninvited guest, what feels like, smacks you in the face, but ultimately you realize you’re safe. For now.
Though that pebble may have only left a small chip, you must act quickly to prevent the chip from being damaged further and becoming a full-blown crack requiring extensive repair. Not only is a cracked windshield distracting but it can also impact your line of vision, endangering your passengers and you.
Whether you’re an experienced driver or a rookie on the roads, it’s important that you know what to do if something happens to your windshield. Here’s how you can attend to windshield damage:
- Take action immediately
Ignoring a chip can cause it to grow bigger and, sometimes, beyond repair. The longer you leave a chip in your windshield, the more likely it will develop into a nasty crack, and you may be forced to get a costly windshield replacement rather than repair. A chip reduces the strength of a windshield and may affect the safety systems connected to the windshield, compromising the safety of your passengers and you. After all, your windshield is there to protect you.
Remember – repairing a windshield when the chip or crack is still small is cost-effective and time-saving. In comparison, replacement invites unnecessary costs and delays to fix.
- Consult a NOVUS Glass pro
Whether it’s a repair or replacement, the most important thing when you get a crack is to get it checked immediately. An expert glass repairer can assess the damage accurately and suggest appropriate action.
Over the past few decades, glass repair technologies have evolved so quickly that it’s possible to fix the damage without replacing the entire windshield. Depending on the extent of the damage, NOVUS Glass technicians use patented resins to take care of the crack, under high-pressure vacuum. In no time, your windshield will be as good as new.
- Calibrating modern windshields
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) are becoming increasingly common in newer vehicles, protecting the driver, passengers and pedestrians from collisions. ADAS sensors work together to control systems such as emergency braking, blind spot monitoring, collision avoidance, pedestrian detection, and lane departure control, among others.
When the windshield in such vehicles is being replaced or repaired, the front camera connected to your windshield should always be re-calibrated, to ensure the safety of passengers and pedestrians. While it sounds as a simple operation, calibration of ADAS systems is a highly complex process that requires special expertise to ensure that all systems are optimized for safe driving.
- ADVANCED REPAIR: NOVUS Glass specializes in repairing chips and long cracks on your windshield, many over 12 inches wide. NOVUS Glass technicians undergo regular training to ensure that they can repair the most complex glass damage.
- AHEAD OF THE TIMES: At all our NOVUS Glass locations, technicians are specially trained to restore windshields to their original OEM condition, including new windshield installation, ADAS calibration, alignment of the forward-facing front camera and using our proprietary ADAS Windshield Repair Resin to repair damage in front of ADAS cameras.
- ENVIRONMENT-FRIENDLY: NOVUS Glass follows a “Repair First Replace if Necessary”® policy, which has saved more than 44 million windshields from ending in landfills over the past decades. Isn’t that great for the environment?
- PATENTED TECHNOLOGY: NOVUS has been awarded more US patents for windshield repair than any other company in the windshield repair industry. While other glass repair services offer limited warranties, the NOVUS team stands behind its work with a full refund for the life of your windshield.